Santa Cruz Art League
The Santa Cruz Art League is an art gallery, theater, classroom, and gift shop. The gallery exhibits are free to the public. The Santa Cruz Art League encourages and supports a wide range of visual and performing artists, professional and recreational alike, in a welcoming environment which celebrates the arts and makes them accessible to the community.
IN THE GALLERY
"Carmel Beach" by Ed Penniman
"Sanctuary" by Frank-Walsh
"Capitola Beach" by Charles-Prentiss
86th Annual California Land & Sea Exhibit
Formerly known as SCAL's popular landscape exhibit, we've expanded the definition to include depictions of seascapes as well. Come experience the 86th year of this cornerstone exhibit featuring artists from every corner of California. This show will be juried by Vice President and Signature Member of the California Art Club, David Gallup who will award $2,000 in prizes to the best work.
- Date: June 3 - July 3, 2016
- Reception: June 11, Saturday, 3-5pm
- Special Juror's Lecture: June 10, Friday, 7pm (see below)
You can see more pictures at our Facebook Page
. Like our page to receive the latest news from SCAL in your Facebook Newsfeed.
And the Award Goes to...
The Winners of the 86th Annual Land & Sea Exhibit.
- 1st Place - Timothy Mulligan - “Bridgewater with Striped Piers” - Acrylic
- 2nd Place - Bill Kennann - “China Cove #2, Point Lobos” - Oil
- 3rd Place - Carolyn Lord - “Sunshine on Capella” - Oil
- Judy Miller - “Evening Glow” - Soft Pastels
- Kathy Carney - “Reef Fish” - Oil
- Susan Holmes - “Sunny Cliff of Opal” - Oil
- Michael Mote - “Wilder Ranch VI” - Oil
- Ginger Summit - “Tide Pool” - Felted Imagery
Art Classes at the League
New 2nd Thursday Drop-in Drawing and Painting
Similar to our popular Monday Night Drop-in Drawing class except with longer poses and attendees may choose to either draw or paint. Live nude or draped model. Facilitated by Open Studio Artist Richard Bennett.
- Levels: Previous drawing or painting experience required. No instruction provided.
- Date and Time: 2nd Thursday of each month, 7:00 - 10:00pm
- Location: in the SCAL classroom
- Fee: $16 non-members, $14 members, $10 students
- Facilitator: Richard Bennett
More information about this and other classes can be found at our Art Classes
In the Lobby
Lobby Artist for this month is Eric Mikkelsen. After your visit with the Land & Sea, don't forget to check out Eric's rich oil paintings.
- Exhibit: June 3 - July 3, 2016
Music at the Art League
"Middle-Eastern Sounds" by Ya Layal
"Ya Layal" presents "Middle-Eastern Sounds", A program of Arabic, Turkish, Armenian and other music performed by Sarah Michael, kanun, Peter Maund, percussion and Suellen Primost, cello with Niko Bakulich, bass. From lively dance tunes to modal improvisations, American standards to Medieval pilgrim songs, Sarah plays her current favorite tunes on the middle eastern zither, accompanied by the astonishing drumming of Peter Maund and the elegant and inventive cello of Suellen Primost. Special guest Niko Bakulich brings the energy only the bass can supply.
Purchase Tickets online »
- Date: Sunday, September 18
- Time: 3-5pm
More Happening at the Art League
Annual Fundraising Campaign
Our Annual Fundraising Campaign is Underway! Please help support the arts by making a generous contribution today.
Donate online »